From the desk of Stu Harman, our support and coaching expert. In this article Stu explains how to download the BiteFX installer package from the Internet, and use the BiteFX Installation Wizard to install the BiteFX application onto your computer with your default browser set to Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
Note: Click here if you would like to watch a complete, step-by-step video tutorial how to download, install, register and update your BiteFX for Windows software.
Installing BiteFX onto your computer is a two-step process:
- Download and save the BiteFX Installer Package from the Internet.
- Install the BiteFX software using the installer package you downloaded.
When your subscription order is placed, you are sent a BiteFX Order Confirmation email with your eight Windows PC registration serial numbers and your iPad password. The email also provides a convenient link to the installer download page, as well as a brief guide of how to download, install and register your BiteFX software.
Before downloading the new installer file, remove any installed BiteFX software with a version number of V1.0, V1.1, or V1.2. Before you start the download, you can open your browser of choice and verify the Internet connection is working.
You begin the installer file download by clicking on the link provided in the BiteFX Order Confirmation email that looks like this:
DOWNLOAD BiteFX Occlusion Animations V2.0 (this text is not linked)
This will automatically open your default browser.
I’ll now describe how things look for the following browsers (click on the link for your browser – if you are using a different browser you may need to read the instructions for a couple of these browsers to figure out what to do for your browser):
- The Google Chrome browser connects to the download site and download automatically begins. At the lower left corner of the browser window you can monitor the download status. The time it takes to download the BiteFX installation package is primarily dependent on your Internet connection speed. The download may take 30 minutes or more as it is a large file (approximately 800 MB).
- Once the BiteFX installer file has been finished downloading, double-click on the downloaded .msi file.
- A Preparing to install window briefly appears, followed by the BiteFX Setup window. Click on the Next button to begin installing the BiteFX software onto your computer.
- The End-User License Agreement window will appear. You can review the entire agreement from this window. When you are ready, click inside the box indicating that you accept the terms of the agreement and then click on Next.
- A BiteFX Setup window opens to allow you to customize the way you want BiteFX features to appear, as well as where the program files will be stored. Except in unusual circumstances, we recommend you simply click on the Next button to install BiteFX using the default settings.
Note: BiteFX is not a server-based application. If you wish to use BiteFX on multiple computers, you must install BiteFX individually on each computer. With your subscription, you receive eight serial numbers so that you can use BiteFX on up to eight computers. Additional licenses can be purchased for a modest price.
- The BiteFX Setup window opens for you to start the installation process. Click on the Next button to begin installing the BiteFX software onto your computer. The installation may take several minutes to complete.
- A new window opens with a status bar to indicate the installation progress.
- When the installation is complete, the final setup window appears indicating that the BiteFX Setup Wizard has been completed. If you do not wish to launch BiteFX automatically, uncheck the box adjacent to the text “Launch BiteFX once setup exits.”. The last step of the installation process is to click on the Finish button.
- Upon completion of the installation, a BiteFX shortcut icon will automatically appear on your desktop.
You can now open BiteFX and register it using one of the serial numbers provided in the BiteFX order confirmation email.
- For Windows XP - right click on the BiteFX shortcut icon, and then select Run as. Uncheck the box adjacent to the text “Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity”, and then click on OK.
The BiteFX Welcome screen opens.
- For Windows 7 & 8 - right click on the BiteFX shortcut icon, and then select Run as administrator.
The BiteFX Welcome screen opens.
- Clicking on the download link automatically opens the Internet Explorer browser window that allows you to view and track your download.
- Click on the Save button to begin downloading and saving the installer file to your computer.
- The Internet Explorer browser automatically begins downloading the file and will save it. The location of the saved file, and the time remaining to complete the download is displayed.
- When the installer file download is complete, a Run button appears. Click on the Run button to begin installing BiteFX onto your computer.
- The installation process continues as described with Google Chrome Steps 3-9.
- Clicking on the download link automatically opens the Firefox browser.
- A dialog box automatically appears to allow you to save the BiteFX installer file onto your computer. Click on the Save File button to begin downloading and saving the file.
- There are three ways to monitor the download status:
- At the top right corner of the Firefox browser window, a small download status bar can be seen indicating the remaining time to complete the download.
- Click on that small status bar to open a more detailed status window.
- Click on Show All Downloads to open the Firefox Library Window which lists the progress for all downloads if you are downloading other files at the same time.
- When the download is complete, double click on the installer file name to begin the installation process.
- The installation process continues the same as described with Google Chrome Steps 3-9.
Download and Installation Steps Review:
- Click on the DOWNLOAD BiteFX Occlusion Animations V2.0 link in your BiteFX Order Confirmation email.
- For Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, click on Save.
- To begin the installation:
- For Google Chrome, after the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded MSI file.
- For Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, after the download has completed, click on Run.
- When the BiteFX Setup Wizard opens click on Next.
- Review the End-User License Agreement, check the box that you agree to the terms, and click on Next.
- When the Custom Setup window opens, click on Next unless you need to change the default BiteFX setup.
- When the Ready to install BiteFX window opens, click on Next.
- When the installation process is complete, click on Finish.
- Right-click on the BiteFX shortcut icon:
- Windows XP - select Run as, uncheck the box as described, and then click on OK.
- Windows 7 & Windows 8 - select Run as administrator, and then click on OK.
- Register BiteFX.
Note: if you prefer, you can obtain an Installation DVD from BiteFX for a nominal shipping and handling fee. Please contact BiteFX to order your Installation DVD.
If you need further assistance downloading and installing your BiteFX software, please send us an email or call us at:
International (+1) 530-582-1189
Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm Pacific time