From the desk of Stu Harman, our support and coaching expert. In this article Stu explains how to upgrade your BiteFX V2.5 software to V3.0. The tutorial includes how to determine the best method to perform the upgrade, how to download the file with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox,and how to use the BiteFX Setup Wizard to install BiteFX onto your computer.
Upgrading BiteFX V2.5 to V3.0 can be done using two different methods:
- Use the update process to download the V3.0 installer file. Note: If using this method, it is not necessary to remove the old BiteFX software first.
- Download and save the BiteFX V3.0 installer file from the Internet yourself.
Determining which method is best:
Which method is best depends on the status of your BiteFX software.
- Start your BiteFX software.
- Check to see if an Upgrade available dialog appears, indicating that the installer file has already been downloaded by the software update process and is ready to begin the V3.0 installation.
- If the dialog above appears, you can proceed with the installation; go to Installing BiteFX V3.0 using the BiteFX Setup Wizard.
- If the Upgrade available dialog does not appear, go to Downloading the BiteFX V3.0 installer file yourself.
Downloading the BiteFX V3.0 installer file yourself:
Before you start the download, you can open your browser of choice and verify the Internet connection is working. We recommend you remove any installed BiteFX software with a version number of V1.* or V2.* (Note: if you want to retain the ability to use the older V1.0, V1.1, or V1.2 software, do not uninstall it as you will not be able to re-register it again if you re-install it).
- In the browser of your choice, navigate to www.bitefx.com, click on the Members tab.
- Login using the email you used when placing your membership order, and your password. If you have forgotten or never created your password, click on the "Password Forgotten or New Member" link to set your password.
- In the right column, click on "Software Download" in the Online Support section, and then click on the BiteFX on Windows link.
Downloading the BiteFX installer file using different browsers
This blog describes how the download process behaves for the following browsers (click on the link for your browser – if you are using a different browser you may need to read the instructions to figure out what to do for that browser):
- Downloading with Google Chrome
- Downloading with Microsoft Edge
- Downloading with Internet Explorer
- Downloading with Mozilla Firefox
For Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox browsers you should always select the "Save" option. You can then copy the installer file to a shared network drive or USB flash drive to quickly install BiteFX on other computers without having to download the installer file each time.
At the end of the blog, I provide a summary of the steps in Download and Installation Steps Review.
By-the-way, the steps are basically quite simple and you'd probably do fine if you just "followed your nose" but I spell everything out in detail in this blog so that if you do not regularly download and install software, you can see exactly what you should do "every click of the way".
Downloading with Google Chrome:
- The Google Chrome browser connects to the download site and download automatically begins. At the lower left corner of the browser window you can monitor the download status. The time it takes to download the BiteFX installation package is primarily dependent on your Internet connection speed. The download may take 30 minutes or more as it is a large file (approximately 1.6 GB).
- Click on the "Up" arrow, then click on Show in folder to open the Downloads folder.
Downloading with Microsoft Edge (Windows 10 only):
- With the Microsoft Edge browser, you will be asked what you would like to do with the installer file; click on "Save". The installer file will be downloaded and saved to your computer's Downloads folder.
- When the installer file has finished downloading, you will be see the following prompt. Click on the "Open folder" button to open your Downloads folder.
Downloading with Internet Explorer:
- Clicking on the download link automatically opens the Internet Explorer browser. You will be asked what you would like to do with the installer file; click on "Save". The installer file will be downloaded and saved to your computer's Downloads folder.
- When the installer file has finished downloading, click on "Open Folder" to open the Downloads folder.
Downloading with Mozilla Firefox:
- Clicking on the download link automatically opens the Firefox browser. You will be asked if you would like to save the file or cancel; click on "Save File". The installer file will be downloaded and saved to your computer's Downloads folder.
- A download progress icon will appear on the right side of the Firefox toolbar. If you click on the Progress Bar icon, a more detailed progress window will appear.
- Click on the folder icon on the right side of the window to open your Downloads folder.
Installing BiteFX V3.0 using the BiteFX Setup Wizard:
Note: BiteFX is not a server-based application. If you wish to use BiteFX on multiple computers, you must install BiteFX individually on each computer. With your membership, you receive multiple serial numbers so that you can use BiteFX on different computers. Additional licenses can be purchased for a modest one-time charge.
- Once the BiteFX installer package has finished downloading, double-click on the installer file name.
- A Preparing to install screen briefly appears, followed by the BiteFX Setup dialog. Click on the "Next" button to begin installing the new BiteFX software onto your computer.
- The End-User License Agreement dialog will appear. You can review the entire agreement here. When you are ready, click inside the box indicating that you accept the terms of the agreement and then click on "Next".
- A BiteFX Setup dialog opens to allow you to customize the way you want BiteFX features to appear, as well as where the program files will be stored. Except in unusual circumstances, we recommend you simply click on the "Next" button to install BiteFX using the default settings.
- The BiteFX V3 Setup dialog opens for you to start the installation process. Click on the "Install" button to begin installing the BiteFX software onto your computer. The installation will take several minutes to complete.
- A new dialog opens with a progress bar to display the installation progress.
- When the installation is complete, the final setup dialog appears indicating that the BiteFX Setup Wizard has been completed. If you do not wish to launch BiteFX automatically, be sure to uncheck the box adjacent to the text “Launch BiteFX when setup exits.”. The last step of the installation process is to click on the Finish button.
- As the new software is installed, the BiteFX shortcut icon will automatically be placed on your desktop.
- You can now open BiteFX and register it using one of the unused serial numbers provided in your BiteFX Order Confirmation email. If you can't find your serial numbers, please contact us and we'll be happy to provide them to you.
To read our blog article on Registering your BiteFX software, click here.
Upgrading your BiteFX V2.5 software to V3.0 using the Update process:
- Start your BiteFX software.
- If the Upgrade Available dialog appears, click on "Yes" to start the BiteFX Setup Wizard and follow the steps to install V3.0. Go to Installing BiteFX V3.0 using the BiteFX Setup Wizard.
Download and Installation Steps Review:
- Download the BiteFX V3.0 installer file using either the update process, or by downloading the installer file yourself from the Members page.
- For Microsoft Edge & Internet Explorer, click on "Save"; for Mozilla Firefox click on "Save file".
- To begin the installation:
- For Google Chrome, after the download is completed, open your Downloads folder and double-click on the downloaded installer file name.
- For Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer, after the download has completed click on "Run".
- For Mozilla Firefox, after the download is completed, open your Downloads folder and double-click on the downloaded installer file name.
- When the BiteFX Setup Wizard opens click on "Next".
- Review the End-User License Agreement, check the box that you agree to the terms, and click on "Next".
- When the Custom Setup window opens, click on "Next" unless you need to change the default BiteFX setup.
- When the Ready to install BiteFX window opens, click on "Next".
- When the installation process is complete, click on "Finish".
- Right-click on the BiteFX shortcut icon and select "Run as administrator", and then click on "OK".
- Register BiteFX.
- Run the update program to install any new updates that have been released to bring the software up to the most current version.
Note: if you prefer, you can obtain an Installation DVD from BiteFX for a nominal shipping and handling fee. Please contact BiteFX to order your Installation DVD.
If you need further assistance downloading and installing your BiteFX software, please send us an email or call us at:
International (+1) 530-582-1189
Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm Pacific time