From the desk of Stu Harman, our support and coaching expert. In this article Stu provides important information regarding a securty advice that appeared on the Internet in April 2016 recommending that everyone uninstall QuickTime due to security vulnerabilities, and how you should proceed if you wish to address security concerns.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU, OR YOUR IT SUPPORT, DO NOT REMOVE APPLE QuickTime FROM ANY COMPUTER RUNNING BiteFX UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS BLOG.
In April 2016, BiteFX was made aware of a security advice recommending that everyone uninstall QuickTime. We believe this advice went beyond what is needed to protect yourself, and will prevent you from using BiteFX.
However, as an added precaution, if you uninstall the full version of QuickTime and then reinstall only the QuickTime Essentials component, BiteFX will continue to work and will do so in a way that does not expose your computer to the QuickTime security flaws described in the security advice. The following is a detailel step-by-step guide how to re-install QuickTime Essentials.
Installing QuickTime Essentials
- Open your preferred web browser and type in apple.com/quicktime/download in the address bar (or just click on the link to navigate to the QuickTime Installer File download web page).
If using Internet Explorer and you live outside the United States, check the Location option: “Other”.
- Uncheck the “Keep me up to date with Apple news, software…” box. You do not need to enter your email address.
- The following dialogs will appear depending on which browser is used:
- Google Chrome – The QuickTime installer file will be saved automatically to the Downloads
- Mozilla Firefox – Click on “Save File”. The QuickTime installer file will be saved to the Downloads folder
- Internet Explorer – click on “Save” if you want to install QuickTime Essentials on other computers, otherwise click on “Run”.
- The QuickTime installer file will look like one the following images in the Downloads folder, depending on your View If necessary, click on the installer file name to begin the installation process.
List or Small icons Medium icons Large icons Extra large icons
- This “Welcome to the QuickTime 7 Installer” dialog will appear. Click on “Next”.
- Click on “Yes” to accept the QuickTime for Windows License Agreement.
- In this “QuickTime 7 Setup” dialog, click on the “Custom” button.
- A drop-down list of available product features will appear. Click on the button to the left of “QuickTime Player”
- Click on “Entire feature will be unavailable”.
- The installer dialog should show that the Web Plug-in, PictureViewer and QuickTime for Java features are no longer available as indicated by the red “X”s. If this is not the case, repeat steps 8-9 for any components (other than QuickTime Essentials) that do not show the red “X”. Click on “Next” to proceed.
- Be sure to uncheck the box “Install Desktop shortcuts”.
- You may also see the option “Automatically update QuickTime 7 and other Apple Software”. If so, uncheck that box as well.
- Now click on “Install”.
- The “Installing QuickTime 7” status screen will appear showing the installation progress.
- When the installation process is complete, the dialog shown below will appear. Click on “Finish” to complete the installation.
What We Are Doing for the Future
We recognize that Apple withdrawing support for QuickTime is a major concern for BiteFX. It is therefore our top priority to find an alternative solution. It is too early to say exactly what that solution will be, but we will let you know when we have determined what that is and when we plan to make it available.If you have any concerns, please call us or email us, and we can talk you through the issues and our recommendations. (1-877-224-8339 or +1-530-582-1189).